Sunday, June 24, 2012

Nutrition Notes: Selenium Function

Antioxidant Rich Foods:


  • Selenium : The mineral selenium helps protect the body from cancer. Including skin cancer caused by sun exposure. It also preserves skin elasticity and slows down the hardening of tissue associated with oxidation. "Selenium has been found to be important to make fertility; increasing selenium levels leads to improved sperm motility. 
10 Selenium Food Sources
  • Brazil Nuts
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Fish ( tuna, halibut, sardines, flounder, salmon)
  • Shellfish (oysters, mussels, shrimp, clams, scallops)
  • Meat ( beef, liver, lamb, pork)
  • Poultry ( chicken, turkey)
  • Eggs
  • Mushrooms (button, crimini, skiitake)
  • Grains (wheat germ, barley, brown rice, oats, whole grain cereals)
  • Onions (garlic)

This is one of the interesting facts I learned from my esthetician class.Keeping a balanced diet and regular water intake is the start of healthy skin too. The adage, "you are what you eat," still holds true. If you need an easier way to understand the recommended proportions to break the food groups, you can go to ChooseMyPlate.gov It's a recommended guideline for food groups that individuals should consume daily and can be based upon an individual's needs.

 


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! The illustration makes this very easy to understand what your portions should be like. I know I definitely have to increase my fruit and veggie intake, as I never eat enough of it in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome :) I thought this information was very important to not write it down somewhere and what better way to share it here. Have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with your chart! i like to eat more veggies compared to protein. much more healthful~

    keep in touch :)
    -Joyce

    Do you like beauty products?
    We're holding a giveaway @ carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me know! I love beauty products; It's my obsession hehee! I will go enter ;)

    ReplyDelete